Sunday, July 25, 2010

Surgery: Pulmonary atresia - VSD, MAPCAs, Unifocalization

Circulation. 2000 Apr 18;101(15):1826-32.
Early and intermediate outcomes after repair of pulmonary atresia with ventricular septal defect and major aortopulmonary collateral arteries: experience with 85 patients.
Reddy VM, McElhinney DB, Amin Z, Moore P, Parry AJ, Teitel DF, Hanley FL.
Divisions of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco 94143-0118, USA.

BACKGROUND: Pulmonary atresia with ventricular septal defect (VSD) and major aortopulmonary collaterals (MAPCAs) is a complex lesion with marked heterogeneity of pulmonary blood supply. Traditional management has involved staged unifocalization of pulmonary blood supply. Our approach has been to perform early 1-stage complete unifocalization in almost all patients.


METHODS AND RESULTS: Since 1992, 85 patients with pulmonary atresia, VSD, and MAPCAs have undergone unifocalization (median age, 7 months). Complete 1-stage unifocalization and intracardiac repair were performed through a midline approach in 56 patients, whereas 23 underwent unifocalization in a single stage with the VSD left open, and 6 underwent staged unifocalization through sequential thoracotomies. There were 9 early deaths. During follow-up (1 to 69 months), there were 7 late deaths. Actuarial survival was 80% at 3 years. Among early survivors, actuarial survival with complete repair was 88% at 2 years. Reintervention on the neo-pulmonary arteries was performed in 24 patients.

CONCLUSIONS: Early 1-stage complete unifocalization can be performed in >90% of patients with pulmonary atresia and MAPCAs, even those with absent true pulmonary arteries, and yields good functional results. Complete repair during the same operation is achieved in two thirds of patients. There remains room for improvement; actuarial survival 3 years after surgery is 80%, and there is a significant rate of reintervention. These results must be appreciated within the context of the natural history of this lesion: 65% of patients survive to 1 year of age and slightly >50% survive to 2 years even with surgical intervention.




MAPCAs arrangement in 11 patients with PA-VSD reported in JTCVS 1997 paper from Quebec:
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1997;114:727-737. One-satge midline unifocalization and complete repair in infancy versus multiple-stage unifocalization followed by repair for complex heart disease with major aorto-pulmonary collaterals. Christo I. Tchervenkov et al.

Group I (pt #1-6) had multi-stage repair:
Group II (pt #7-11) had single-stage repair:
Also see other postings on this subject:
Pre-op evaluation of PAs and MAPCAs
MAPCAs in PA-VSD
Surgery Algorithms for PA-VSD

5 comments:

  1. For years, I have read and seen the advertisements in the mass media about all of the penis enhancement pills and thought that they were all scams or gimmicks. All of the medical sites that I have visited stated that none of the herbal supplements would ever help increase the size of a penis. I got very depressed when I read this, because unfortunately I was not naturally blessed with a penis that was big enough to arouse my sexual partner or past partners. I am a man that is past my sexual primetime and my sexual performance has a lot to be desired. I decided to try Doctoc Akhigbe herbal medicine after all the reading and researching that I have done.I saw a testimony " Joe" about doctror Akhigbe Herbal Medicine Since there is a Money Back Guarantee, I give him a trial what did I have to lose? I couldn't believe the results I was seeing after drinking the Natural  Herbal Medicine  and Herbal Soap to be rubign my penis! he sent to me through DHL courier delivery service . Within about 2 weeks I had a noticeable increase in the girth of my penis. Then after a coupleof aditional week it started to grow in length and I was amazed and very excited.before I finish the drink and the soap my penis had grown an additional two inches. I've had a considerable improvement with my sex life and these pills are certainly worth every penny I spent on them! I want to thank Dr Akhigbe for the time and effort they have spent on helping people in my situation.I know many are out there who are suffering this problem and they need help, email him.    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com.    He also cure other diseases like: . HIV/ AIDS. JOINT PAIN, BREAST ENLARGEMENT. DIABETIES.  HERPES. AUTISM . NO PRIOD.  CHRONIC DISEASES. LUPUS . MALE AND FEMALE FERTILITY. WAST & BACK PAIN. CANCER . DISCHARGE FROM BREAST PAIN, BREAST INFECTION. PARKINSON DISEASES.  WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM.  VAGINAL INFECTION. IRREGULAR MENSTRATION , PAIN & ITCHING, TOXOPLASMOSIS,  . LOWER ABDOMINAL PAIN PAIN DURING SEX INSIDE THE PELVIC . PREMATURE EJACULATION.  PAIN DURING URINATION. PELVIC INFLAMATORY DISEASES , VAGINAL DISCHARGE. (PID). PULMONARY FIBROSIS, DRIPPING OF SPERM FROM THE VAGINAL AS WELL AS FOR LOW SPERM COUNT. DENGUE, TUBERCULOSIS. CIRRHOSIS .    ITCHING OF THE PRIVATE PART. ZERO SPERM COUNT.  ASTHMA.  . ,  EJACULATION. WEAK ERECTION. ERYSIPELAS, DISCHARGE FROM PENIS . HPV. QUICK EJACULATION. HEPATITIS A & B. STD. STAPHYLOCOCCUS + GONORRHEA + SYPHILIS. HEART DISEASE.  PILE-HEMORRHOID. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. RHIUMATISM, THYROID, PENIS ENLARGEMENT  .   For your cure email him now:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or Contact his numbe:  +2349010754824.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS TO DR OSAZE WHO CURERD ME OF STAPHYLOCOCUS INFECTION, I WAS INFECTED WITH STAPH FOR OVER FIVE YEARS, I VISITED SEVERAL HOSPITAL AND BOUGHT ALL KINDS OF ANTIBIOTICS FOR TREATMENT, ALL TO NO AND VAIL, NTIL SOMEONE RECOMMENDED ME TO DR OSAZE HERBAL HOME, AND HE ADMINISTERED HIS HERBAL MEDICATION ON ME, AND I WAS CURED WITHIN A MONTHAND A WEEK.
    IN CASE YOU ARE FACING SUCH PROBLEM, AND YOU NEEDS DR OSAZE ASSISTANCE, YOU CAN CALL OR WHATSAP HIM ON +2347089275769 OR EMAIL DROSAZE39@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete

  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda S.’s COPD made her feel short of breath and like she was constantly dragging. While her inhalers helped some, she just didn’t feel like herself anymore.
    After having life-threatening pneumonia, she knew something had to change. A friend of hers mentioned multivitamin herbal formula restoration treatment, so Rhonda did
    some research and decided to receive treatment at the multivitamin herbal cure. “I started to feel better almost right away,” Rhonda said.
    And, along with feeling better, she began to do things she couldn’t do before treatment. Now, Rhonda can take showers, work in her flower garden, and she enjoys having more energy. It’s with a great deal of hope, Rhonda says, “I feel more like myself.”
    Like Rhonda, you can breathe easier and bring normal life back within reach. If you or someone you love has a chronic lung disease and would like more information, contact them today by calling (+1 (956) 758-7882 to visit their website multivitamincare .org

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you need a solution for male infertility like: AZOOSPERMIA, LOW SPERM COUNT, WEAK ERECTION, and PREMATURE EJACULATION? Look no further! Dr. Uduehi has the cure/remedy to any type of male infertility. It’s been 4 months since he cured me of azoospermia and my spouse is currently pregnant for me. I was diagnosed of Non‐obstructive azoospermia (NOA), which people believes it’s impossible to be cured or treated. But with Dr Uduehi’s medication, I got cured. I am expecting a baby anytime soon and I was introduced to the doctor by someone whom he treated of low sperm count. So, I deemed it fit to share my experience with the doctor to the general public and to give hope to those who don’t know who to meet for their problems. The doctor’s contact: (uduehiherbalcare@gmail.com) (+2347084878384)

    ReplyDelete